The UT Department of Theatre and the Clarence Brown Theatre offers Workshops designed to assist area ELA and Drama Teachers with curricular and/or production support from departmental faculty members and artists who are in residence at the state of Tennessee’s only LORT Professional Theatre. Workshops can be done either Virtually or In-Person (post-Covid-19). There is no cost to those requesting a workshop, and we offer them in the following areas:
- Musical Theatre
- Acting Shakespeare/Shakespearean Text
- Acting for the Camera
- Self Taping
- The Business of Show Business
- Careers in Theatre
Additionally, workshops in Design/Tech may be requested, but are subject to Faculty and/or Graduate Teaching Assistant/Staff availability.
If you would like to book a Virtual Tour or Workshop, please contact David Alley at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 865.974.8373.
Each year, we offer Season for Youth Student Matinees during the regular school day. Available at reduced rates for school groups, these performances engage and expose youth to the wonders of live, professional theatre and help inspire and build the next generation of theatre lovers! We hope you and your students will join us!
Our Acting Workshop is designed to give young actors training in several different skills: basic acting technique, voice, musical theatre, and movement and improvisation.
From panel discussions to design presentations, Behind the Scenes Sunday events take place in the theatre immediately following the 1st Sunday matinee of each production. Designed to give you a deeper appreciation and connection to the plays we produce, they are free of charge and open to the public.
Our Behind the Scenes Sunday events include:
- MURDER ON THE ORENT EXPRESS – September 10, 2023
- THE MOORS – October 22, 2023
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL – November 26, 2023
- THE GIVER – February 18, 2024
- ANON(YMOUS) – March 30, 2024 (Saturday Matinee)
- KINKY BOOTS – April 21, 2024
Informal talk backs with selected members of the show’s cast, crew, and artistic team offer you a chance to delve deeper into the show and “talk back” to the artists who brought the show to life. Talk backs take place in the theatre immediately following the 2nd Sunday matinee of each production and are free and open to the public.
Our Talk Back events include:
- MURDER ON THE ORENT EXPRESS – September 17, 2023
- THE MOORS – October 29, 2023
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL – December 3, 2023
- THE GIVER – February 25, 2024
- ANON(YMOUS) – March 24, 2024
- KINKY BOOTS – April 28, 2024
In partnership with UT’s Center on Deafness, we offer Deaf Night at the Theatre for select performances, making the theatre experience 100% accessible to our Deaf patrons with interpreters for the show, in the Box Office, at concessions, and throughout the lobby.
Our Deaf Nights at the Theatre events include:
- MURDER ON THE ORENT EXPRESS – September 19, 2023 at 6:30 pm
- A CHRISTMAS CAROL – December 5, 2023 at 6:30 pm
- THE GIVER – February 28 at 7:30pm
- KINKY BOOTS – April 23, 2024 at 6:30 pm
For the 2023/2024 Deaf Nights at the Theatre we are partnering with Knoxville Center of the Deaf for Pay What You Can (PWYC) performances.
Half of all proceeds from that night’s PWYC tickets will go to them.