The mission of the Clarence Brown Theatre and the Department of Theatre shall be to achieve regional, national and international distinction by:
- Providing quality programs of study at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Supporting a resident professional theatre to foster professional standards of production and performance.
- Enriching the study and practice of theatre with projects and pursuits which facilitate national and international artistic exchange among teachers, students and professional artists.
- Providing a cultural resource for both the university and the larger East Tennessee community that affirms diversity and inclusivity in all their forms.
The Master of Fine Arts in Theatre shall provide:
- An educational and artistic foundation for a life of work and research in theatre.
The Bachelor of Arts in Theatre shall provide:
- An education firmly rooted in the liberal arts, teaching students to think critically, communicate fully, creatively and effectively; and explore life and literature through the theatrical event.
- The development of collaborative and practical skills in problem-solving that are a foundation for a variety of career paths.
- An appropriate preparation for those students wishing to pursue professional graduate training in theatre.