The mission of the Department of Theatre and the Clarence Brown Theatre Company shall be to achieve regional, national and international distinction by:
- Providing quality programs of study at both the graduate and undergraduate levels.
- Supporting a resident professional theatre to foster professional standards of production and performance.
- Enriching the study and practice of theatre with projects and pursuits which facilitate national and international artistic exchange among teachers, students and professional artists.
- Providing a cultural resource for both the university and the larger East Tennessee community that affirms diversity and inclusivity in all their forms.
The Master of Fine Arts in Theatre shall provide an educational and artistic foundation for a life of work and research in theatre.
The Bachelor of Arts in Theatre shall provide:
- An education firmly rooted in the liberal arts, teaching students to think critically, communicate fully, creatively and effectively; and explore life and literature through the theatrical event.
- The development of collaborative and practical skills in problem-solving that are a foundation for a variety of career paths.
- An appropriate preparation for those students wishing to pursue professional graduate training in theatre.