Join our Clarence Brown Theatre Volunteer Usher Team!
The Clarence Brown Theatre is proud to have over 100 active and friendly volunteers who contributed nearly 5,000 hours of service last year. Volunteers are an integral part of the Clarence Brown Theatre’s team. For the past twenty-five years, volunteers have contributed their time and skills to create a welcoming and hospitable environment for patrons. Whether students visiting the theatre for the first time on a class field trip, visitors attending campus for the first time, or long-time supporters of the arts, Clarence Brown volunteers set the stage for each patron’s arts experience. They are the face of the theatre to patrons, the first to greet them when they arrive for an event and the last face they see as they leave. Volunteers fill a variety of roles here at the Clarence Brown Theatre. These include ticket takers, ushers, greeters, as well as providing important support for our administrative functions and Access Services Program. The high quality of service delivered by volunteers is a critical piece in the Clarence Brown Theatre’s mission to provide unparalleled programming and cultural events to the region.
Would You Like to Be a Clarence Brown Theatre Volunteer Usher?
To learn more about the volunteer usher program, check out the position description listed below. Interested individuals should sign up by visiting our page on the Volunteer East Tennessee website by clicking the circular link above.
For more information, contact the House Manger via email or at (865) 974-8287.
Ushers provide a welcoming atmosphere by ensuring all patrons are given professional and friendly customer service in a safe environment.
- Understands the emergency procedures and assists in the event of an emergency.
- Directs patrons within the building including to theaters, seating locations, restrooms, will call, etc.
- Carries out duties as assigned per performance or event: program stuffing and distribution, ticket scanning, ushering, greeting and giving directions, and other tasks.
- Assists patrons before, during and after performances and events.
- Understands all Clarence Brown Theatre accessibility services, provides assistance to patrons with access needs, and uses approved language.
- Monitors and supervises the behavior, safety, and comfort of the audience during performances, ensuring that patrons can enjoy the performance free of disturbances and reporting any difficulties on stage or in the audience to supervising House Manager.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL ABILITIES
- Ability to negotiate multiple levels of stairs, climbing and descending.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to lift approximately 10 pounds unassisted using appropriate lifting techniques and/or devices.
- Must be able to move quickly and calmly in an emergency.
- Must be able to stand, sit, or walk for indeterminate amount of time (usually between 2-4 hours)
- Must be at least 16 years of age (21 on Opening Nights).
- Ability to work with a broad range of people.
- Ability to work independently or as a team.
- Excellent customer service orientation.
- Must have access to a working email account.